One week from now I will be working at a Christian summer camp for about a month. I could not be more excited, but am also extremely nervous.
I know this camp does incredible things and changes kids’ lives. I am so ready to be a part of that. I love spending my time helping students grow as people and in their relationships with Christ. I am also ready to meet some other college kids who are passionate about serving and loving on some kiddos. I can’t wait to build some incredible friendships. I am also excited to grow in my own relationship with Christ. Some time disconnected from everything and focused on camp is much needed after the semester I had.
However, I am also apprehensive. This is a totally new experience. Many of the college students who staff the camps have been going since they were campers themselves. I am nervous about trying to learn everything and find my place. New experiences are always a bittersweet excitement. Being gone so long is also going to be new. I have never gone so long away at camp and unable to talk to my family and friends. I know it will be a good opportunity to re-center some of my priorities and thoughts, but I will miss them dearly.
In the end, the excitement outweighs the apprehension.
As I am prepping for camp, I am praying a lot for the time to come. It’s important to be in the right mindset when my actions will be impacting young lives I will be spending time with. Here’s how I’ll be praying and how you can join me:
- For the kids:
- That they will come in with open hearts
- That they will meet Jesus
- That they will build friendships that last a lifetime
- That they will find peace they may not find at home
- That they will find rest and be ready to go back to busy lives at home
- For the staff:
- That we will be flexible
- That we will allow God to speak through us
- That we will pour into each other so we can pour into the campers
- That we will also meet Jesus and grow in Him
- That we will build relationships that push us toward Christ continuously
- That we will overcome tiredness and serve with our full hearts
This is my last blog before camp, but I can’t wait to share what a month at camp is like and all of the incredible things I learn.